Community transport is a local door-to-door transport service, which is often called 'Dial a ride' or 'Ring and ride' service. It can carry you in your wheelchair or if you are unable to use public transport.
Characteristics of community transport are:
- you book in advance
- it's not free but is far cheaper than taxis
- it generally can't be used for journeys for which there's alternative transport
- it can't be used for trips you have to do every day, such as getting to work
- it's usually run by your local council or transport authority
To find your local community transport service:
- check the community pages in your phone book
- phone your local council
- contact the Community Transport Association or search their website (see below).
Last updated: August 2015