Mobility scooters overview
Rica has published a wide range of information about mobility scooters, including what to look for when buying one, a specialised online search, and guidelines for taking your scooter on public transport.
Choosing a mobility scooter
What you need to think about when looking for a scooter:
- Introduction and quick guide
- Class and size
- Controls - overview
- Controls - starting and stopping
- Seating and stability
- Batteries and range
- Travelling with a scooter
- Safety and insurance
- Buying advice
- Using our scooter search
- Useful contacts
Mobility scooter search
Find the best mobility scooter for you or choose a factsheet by manufacturer or model:
- Quick search
- Advanced search (helps you find the scooter that suits you best)
- Find a factsheet on mobility scooter models
Rights and regulations for travelling with a scooter on:
Rica research reports
Rica carries out commissioned research into aspects of mobility scooter use by older and disabled people. Two of the reports aim to guide future policy on transport accessibility and safety.
Read or download our research reports:
Reports on mobility scooter market trends, who uses mobility scooters, and class 3 (road) mobility scooters.
This research asks how easy mobility scooter controls are for people to understand and use.
Recommends ways to make access to public transport easier and safer for mobility scooter users.
A research project into how easy car boot hoists are for mobility scooter owners to use. Our test results can help you choose a hoist for your car boot.
Personal experiences to read:
- What's a fair price to service your mobility scooter?
- Mobility scooters – some tips for users
- I bought my mobility scooter online
- New guide to choosing a mobility scooter
- Mobility scooters – pros and cons
Last updated: December 2015