Choosing cookers, ovens, hobs and microwaves
Choosing the right cooking appliance for your needs can be difficult for anyone - especially so if you are blind or partially sighted or are looking for easy to use features.
- Introduction (this page)
- Types of cooking appliances
- What would make cooking easier for you?
- Design features worth looking for
- Design features to avoid
- Design features checklist
- Where and how to buy cooking appliances
- Lighting, devices and kitchen accessories
- Design advice and installation of appliances
- Useful resources
Download a pdf copy: Choosing cookers, ovens, hobs and microwaves (PDF).
For an audio cd or braille copy of the guide, contact:
The range and scope of cookers, ovens, hobs and microwaves on sale is diverse and often confusing.
First of all, decide:
- what type of fuel to use (gas or electric)
- whether you want a separate hob and oven or a free standing cooker
- if a combined microwave and oven will be the right choice for you
- what your current are and what your future needs in the kitchen will be.
Use this shopping guide to:
- translate your needs and home situation into features to look out for
- get advice on how to approach retailers
- get a step-by-step through the decisions to make to find the best cooking appliance for your needs.
NOTE: It’s often the case that information you get later on will change your mind about earlier decisions.
Our research involved:
- Two focus groups with design sessions involving 18 participants with sight loss. Our design sessions ended by asking the question “If you could design a desert island cooker and microwave, what would they look like?”
- Expert consultation with occupational therapists, housing and facilities managers and a kitchen design consultant for disabled people.
- We visited a total of nine stores with three people with sight loss, to see if we could find products with the features we were looking for.
- Our participants were aged between 22 and 89. Five had no useful sight and thirteen were partially sighted.
Last updated: January 2019
Introduction | Types of cooking appliances