Petrol station mystery shopping
Download the petrol station mystery shopping research report here (PDF)
In October 2014, six disabled drivers from our consumer research panel visited 20 petrol stations (BP, Esso, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, Shell and Tesco) to record their experiences.
They were asked to go to petrol stations that they hadn't been to before and to wait up to 15 minutes to be served with fuel.
Our mystery shoppers found that:
- 70% of petrol stations had no signs offering help for disabled motorists
- in 20% of visits the lack of help meant that the disabled driver couldn't buy fuel
- in 80% of visits it took more than three minutes, and
- in 20% it took eight minutes or more to get help
- in one garage the driver still had no help after after 15 minutes
- only 15% of garages took card payments
Our research results have excited interest in the media:
- Petrol station survey fuels the debate on accessibility from Disabled Motoring UK, the campaigning charity for disabled drivers, passengers and Blue Badge holders.