13 Oct 2020
We test the accessibility and usability of digital products and evaluate how real disabled and older users interact with them.
Digital inclusion is about building digital content and applications that can be used by a wide range of people, including people who have visual, motor, auditory, speech, or cognitive disabilities.
Our resources include
- 1600+ person consumer panel across the range of disabilities and age
- experienced and specialist in-house UX research team
- undertake UX and accessibility tests of existing and prototype apps, websites, digital product interfaces, services and communications
- explore the full range of user experiences, including for customers who use assistive technology such as a screen readers or voice output technologies
- test in the home, lab or wider environment including remote moderated and un-moderated testing
Recent client work includes
- Skipton Building Society - moderated lab based study of online customer savings journey. A/B testing
- Centrica plc - home-based and lab moderated accessibility & usability studies of British Gas customer booking website.
- Hive Active Heating SMART heating controls - lab-based UX testing of prototype
- Connected Home technology - Amazon Echo, Hive tech and Apple Watch. Remote un-moderated UX study including diary, cameras and contextual interviews
Other case studies include:
- Smart metering In-home Displays. Commissioned by Consumer Focus, British Gas and E.ON - lab-based usability testing of 20 displays, each with 36 older and disabled users.
- Digital TV. Commissioned by the Government to support the UK's Digital Switchover, by lab usability testing of over 500 digital TV products with Intertek MK (digital TVs, digital recorders, set top boxes and universal remotes)
- Mobile phone features. Commissioned by the Communications Consumer Panel that advises Ofcom to conduct comparative lab-based usability trials of mobiles with 64 users, including disabled and non-disabled people. Identified simple improvements to handsets that would benefit all users